From: £3.02 Inc VAT
25mm x 50mm x 4.8 Meters - Blue BS5534 Roofing Batten
Brand: Nottage Timber Merchants
Delivery: Please Contact Us For Lead Times
Price includes VAT unless stated otherwise
25mm x 50mm x 4.8 Meters - Stamped Blue BS5534 Roofing Batten
- BS 5534:2003 states the requirements for roofing battens, and includes information about the species, grades, treatment and required markings.
- Pressure treated with preservatives to enhance resistance to rot and insect attack
- Most organisations, for example National House Builders Council & Local Authority Building Control require fully-compliant battens.
- NHBC now require that timber used for battens should be indelibly marked to demonstrate compliance with BS 5534
- Although not a legal requirement, BS 5534 sets out the standard for battens. The best way to ensure battens are fit for purpose is to choose those marked as BS 5534-compliant.
Why are roof battens different Colours?
Manufacturers often add a coloured dye to their preservative treatment process to differentiate non-graded batten from BS5534 Batten. The colour itself does not matter, and is decided by the manufacturer at the time of treatment. There is a wide variety of colours including Red, Blue & Gold available, but this is not enough to show the battens meet BS 5534. Every BS5534 graded batten must be indelibly marked / stamped with the following:
- Timber Grading: BS 5534
- The manufacturers? / graders name
- The timber species
- A third-party certification scheme
What fixings do I need for 25mm x 50mm x 4.8 Meters - Stamped Blue BS5534 Roofing Batten?
British standards BS 5534 and BS 8000-6:1990 give the information you need for fixing and installation:
- Ensure battens are fixed to rafters at centres not more than 600mm apart
- Ensure battens span at least three trusses and are therefore more than 1.2m long
- Batten moisture content (after treatment) should not exceed 22%
- Use round shank nails, 10 gauge and usually 65mm long
- Use zinc coated nails where extreme weather (e.g. coastal conditions) might be experienced
- Use galvanised nails when fixing treated timber battens to avoid corrosion
- Nail through the middle of the batten into the middle of each rafter
- Cut joints square and butt joint at the centre of each rafter, providing maximum support and fixing
- Replace any battens that have split due to nailing
What size batten do I need?
25mm x 50mm x 4.8 Meters - Stamped Blue BS5534 Roofing Batten is suitable for use with Slate, Fibre-Cement, Concrete & Clay Tiles in both single and double lap applications with upto a 600mm on center construction.
What is the life span of my BS5534 Graded Roofing Batten?
Our battens are supplied with an industrially applied treatment process designed to provide a 60-year design life under Use Class 2. The relevant Standard is BS 8417:2011 Preservation of Wood. Cut ends should be treated with brush-applied preservative, especially those in contact with mortar
Where appropriate, Nottage Timber Merchants may supply a different colour than specified here on our website. Where an alternative product is supplied, we will ensure the replacement is fully stamped and supplied as a graded BS5534 batten to equal or greater specification than listed here.
- Stock Availability0 in Stock
* Stock Levels are NOT LIVE - We try our best to keep our stock levels accurate but there is a delay between our Stock System and Website.
- Delivery InfomationDue to the size and/or weight of this item, we are only able to delivery this item on our own fleet of vehicles. To see what areas we cover, please Click Here to see our full delivery infomation page